The Commission has presented today
– a Communication outlining an Action Plan on critical raw materials and the 2020 list of those materials, and
– a related foresight study presenting the 2030 and 2050 perspectives.
The Action Plan proposes actions to reduce EU´s dependency on third countries, diversify supply, and improve resource efficiency and circularity. The actions envisaged include, among others:
– Launch of a European Raw Materials Alliance
– Sustainable financing criteria for mining and extractive sectors
– R&I on substitution of critical raw materials
– Mapping out potential supply of secondary materials in EU
– Programmes of Earth observation and remote sensing for resource exploration
– Diversification of supplies, in partnership with Canada, interested African countries and EU neighbourhood in a first stage.