AMCHAM Luxembourg Learning Fest’23 Session 1:
7 RECOMMENDATIONS TO DEAL WITH CONSTANT CHANGE AND AMBIGUITY:
1. Accept chaos as a fact
The first step towards dealing with external and personal uncertainty is to acknowledge its permanent nature i.e. uncertainty will always be there.
2. Discover yourself (recommended book )
You can learn how to covert your “dark sides” (e.g. selfishness) into strength.
RTD Committee recommended reading: The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance, and Dreams by Debbie Ford
3. Stay curious and be brave
The more you know about the impact of the upcoming change, the more self-confidence you will gain.
4. Choose squiggly career paths (recommended book )
Prepare yourself for your next career step right after the promo or accepting a new offer
Consider non-linear career for higher adaptability.
RTD Committee Recommended Reading: The Squiggly Career: Ditch the Ladder, Discover Opportunity, Design Your Career by Helen Tupper
5. Build transferrable skills
Soft skills are considered as more transferrable than tech skills, so continuously hone your soft skills.
6. Build resilience
To embrace negative changes, you need to push yourself from frustration and fear towards a constructive emotional upswing (e.g., thinking about what you can do about it).
7. Connect with people
Empathy is key to navigate the change. Empathetic leaders are sensitive and open to the opinions, worldviews and experiences of others.
Be as transparent and honest as possible in your communication about the upcoming change. If you don’t know something, say so.
+ Bonus tips on top of the session
8. Find purpose and strength in times of great despair (recommended book)
9. If your project was cancelled, try to leverage the data / learning in other projects or think about the way to revive the project in the future.
10. Any time there is change, there is an opportunity. So it is paramount that you get energized rather than paralyzed.