The leave for family reason in the context of the covid-19 pandemic extended until 30 April 2022
As part of the measures implemented in schools and childcare facilities to combat the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (COVID-19), a child may have to be placed in quarantine or isolation by order or recommendation of the Health Directorate, respectively the competent authority.
In order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19, and depending on the evolution of the number of infections, it is necessary to take all measures likely to curb the spread. Thus, educational and childcare establishments, mini-crèches and parental assistants may be obliged to suspend their activities partially or entirely for a given period of time.
In this context, a specific procedure renewed several times due to the rapid evolution of the Covid-19 epidemic, is now applicable until 30 April 2022 inclusive and allows one of the parents to benefit from extended family leave.
Who is concerned ?
Any parent (employee, self-employed, apprentice) affiliated in Luxembourg who is responsible for a child :
- vulnerable to COVID-19 pursuant to the recommendations of the Higher Council for Infectious Diseases, or
- less than 13 years of age under a quarantine or isolation measure decided or recommended by the Health Directorate, or;
- between 13 and 18 years of age and hospitalized under a quarantine or isolation measure decided or recommended by the Health Directorate, or;
- born before 1 September 2017 and under 13 years of age or who has not left the basic education system and cannot attend the school or education and care facility, or who benefits from distance education, following a decision to close decided by the competent authority; or
- born after 1 September 2016, who cannot attend a childcare facility provided that it also cares for young children, following a decision to close decided by the competent authority; or
- less than 13 years of age attending a school or child care facility which, for reasons related to the health crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, had to be closed on individual decision by the competent authority.
How to process ?
A parent who needs to take leave for family reasons must inform their employer as quickly as possible, either verbally or in writing, and indicate the start and end date of said leave.
The parent must then fill in the NEW form for leave for family reasons in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, sign it, and send it to both the National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé – CNS) and their employer.
Then, depending on the given situation (boxes to be ticked on the form), different documents must be attached to the application. The official documents vary from country to country :
- Quarantine/isolation order for the child issued by the Health Directorate, or ;
- Certificate of school closure issued by the Ministry of National Education and Youth (MENJE).
- Official document issued by the health insurance for contact cases and school closures. Also a document proving work stoppage can be requested through declare.ameli in case of need for a certificate of incapacity for work, or ;
- School closure certificate in the name of the child issued by the competent authority (e.g. school management, commune, etc.).
- Medical certificate confirming quarantine/isolation or a recommendation for quarantine/isolation issued by the competent authority, or ;
- Certificate of school closure in the name of the child issued by the competent authority (e.g. school management, commune, etc).
- Official quarantine/isolation document issued by the Gesundheitsamt/-behörde of the competent Land, or ;
- School closure certificate issued by the competent authority (e.g. school management, municipality, etc.) in the name of the child.
All these documents must be nominative (in the name of the child).
Similarly, the NSC may request proof of a positive PCR test of the person/child concerned.