- 800g Jersey Royals, Charlotte or Anya potatoes , or another waxy variety
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp muscatel or white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot , very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp soured cream
- 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
- ¼ lemon , juiced
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- handful of crispy fried onions
- STEP 1
Tip the potatoes into a large pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until tender to the tip of a knife.
- STEP 2
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk the mustard, vinegar, olive oil and chopped shallot together with a good pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel if you prefer, then halve, quarter or cut them into bite-sized chunks if large, then toss in the mustard dressing until completely coated. Leave to cool completely.
- STEP 3
- Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, soured cream, lemon juice and horseradish together. When the potatoes are cool, toss them through the mayonnaise mixture along with the spring onions. Tip into a dish and scatter with the crispy onions just before serving, or serve the crispy onions on the side for sprinkling over at the table.